Building permits are required to erect, enlarge, alter, demolish, or repair a structure in the City of Arab. This includes everything from garages to commercial construction, signs and additions.
The current codes in effect are the Southern Building, Gas, Mechanical, Plumbing, Fire Prevention, and National Electrical Code.
Building Permit Fees
A building permit is required for all construction with a value in excess of $500 (regardless of the construction value), if plumbing, electrical, gas, roofing, HVAC or structural work requiring an inspection is involved in the project.
Owners or contractors proposing construction projects should consult with the Building Department to determine if a permit is required. For single-family residential construction, value is determined at $50.00 per square heated floor area and $25.00 per square ft. of un-heated floor area. Industrial, commercial, multi-family and other construction permit fees are based on the actual contract bid, plus all applicable engineering fees.
Once construction value has been determined, the permit fee is calculated according to the “slide scale” listed below.
740 North Main Street
Arab, Alabama 35016
Ed Howard, Building Inspector
Kim Johnson, Assistant
Monday – Friday
7:30a – 4:30p
The City of Arab uses:
2005 NEC Electrical Code
2006 ICC Building Codes
Construction Industry Craft Training (CICT) Fees
As of October 1, 2016, The State of Alabama Department of Finance mandated the CICT program and it is to be funded from any county, city, or other political subdivision of the state that issues non-residential construction building permits. The fee shall be equal to one dollar ($1.00) for every one thousand dollars ($1000.00) of construction authorized.
This fee applies to COMMERCIAL BUILDING PERMITS ONLY and will be in addition to the building permit fee.
Building Permit Requirements
- Zoning Verification
- Site Plan (see Site Plan Example)
- Drainage Plan
- Building Plans, stamped by a registered architect or engineer (if required)
- Copy of Contractor’s License
- Business License
- Copy of Identification
- Copy of Signed Contract with Property Owner
- List of Proposed Sub Trades
- ALL Sub Trades are required to obtain a Building Permit for each project
- Footing Inspection (prior to concrete)
- Rough-In Framing
- Electrical & Plumbing
- A Final Inspection must be performed to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy
All contractors and/or sub-contractors are responsible for calling to schedule inspections. A 24-hour notice is REQUIRED.
Construction Value Slide Scale
- $499 & below:
- NO fee unless inspection is required, then $25 for each inspection shall be charged
- $500 to $2500:
- $25 fee for projects within the above price range
- $2,501 to $50,000:
- $25 for the first $2,500, plus $5 for each additional thousand or fraction thereof, up to and including $50,000
- $50,001 to $100,000:
- $260 for the first $50,000, plus $4 for each additional thousand or fraction thereof, up to and including $100,000
- $100,001 to $500,000:
- $460 for the first $100,000, plus $3 for each additional thousand or fraction thereof, up to and including $500,000
- $500,001 and up:
- $1,660 for the first $500,000, plus $2 for each additional thousand or fraction thereof
For all non-illuminated sign permits, the fee shall be $50.00.
For all illuminated sign permits, the fee shall be $75.00.
For all pool permits, the fee shall be $50.00.
For the moving of any building or structure, the fee shall be $100.00.
For the demolition of any building or structure, the fee shall be:
Where work for which a permit is required by this code schedule is started or proceeded prior to obtaining said permit, the fees herein specified shall be doubled, but the payment of such double fee shall not relieve any persons from fully complying with the requirements of this code in the execution neither of the work nor from any other penalties prescribed herein.